On Saturday, April 7, Houston PetSet arranged emergency transportation for 82 dogs, many of whom were Hurricane Harvey rescues, from the Montgomery County Animal Shelter to shelters in Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin. But there are still animals in Houston in overcrowded shelter conditions at risk for being euthanized. And there are many other areas in which animals are suffering or homeless. Donations made in 2018 will help support ongoing efforts, including continued transport of animals still crowding our streets and shelters as a result of Hurricane Harvey. Please donate today.
Our Disaster Response to Hurricane Harvey
More than $350,000+ disbursed in emergency grants to 50+ animal welfare and rescue organizations since September 1, 2017. This emergency grantmaking was made possible due to the generosity of those who contributed to our Hurricane Harvey Disaster Relief Fund.
Approximately 300 Animals Transported to Rescue Partners
Houston PetSet coordinated several transports to help move existing populations of adoptable animals from local shelters and rescue groups to free up space for incoming animals displaced by Hurricane Harvey. Under the leadership of Co-Presidents Tena Lundquist Faust and Tama Lundquist, the team worked tirelessly to organize transport of both pre and post-Harvey shelter animals.
Special Thanks to the Following:
- Houston PetSet Advisory Board Members Richard and Jana Fant for donating the use of their private plane to transport adoptable animals on September 2, 2017.
- Scott Roberts of Phoenix for donating the use of his plane to transport 16 animals from ADORE Houston on September 9, 2017.
- Pilots N Paws for transporting post-Harvey 9 animals to Michigan.
- Animal Defense League of San Antonio for helping coordinate a transport of adoptable animals from Harris County Animal Shelter on August 31, 2017.
- Rescue Express for transporting animals on September 13, 2017, from the NRG Arena Pet Reunion Pavilion to four shelters across California.
- Lance McCullers Jr. Foundation for transporting approximately 75 animals to California shelters on October 31, 2017.
- In honor of the father of Co-Presidents Tena Lundquist Faust and Tama Lundquist, Houston PetSet and Rescue Express on December 17, 2017 to Angel of Hope and Ruff Start rescues in Minnesota.
- The many partners for our Touchdown Transport who helped us move 60 dogs and cats to Angel of Hope and Ruff Start rescues in Minnesota on February 3, 2018, Superbowl weekend.
- Rescue Express and Montgomery County Animal Shelter for transporting animals on March 10, 2018, to shelters in Michigan.
Three Donation Supply Drives Hosted To Raise Critical Emergency Supplies
In response to the immediate need for life-saving pet food and supplies, Houston PetSet partnered with local organizations, volunteer groups and donors from around the country.
As the umbrella organization connecting national resources to local needs, Houston PetSet coordinated the collection of thousands of pounds of pet food, pharmaceutical supplies, dog crates, blankets and other items. It also has assisted in the distribution to both local animal rescue groups working “in the trenches” and to pet owners.